Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Reflections on The Word: Deuteronomy 28:8

Ever notice how we get caught up in the parts of Bible verses that we like and tend to gloss over the rest? For instance, I was just looking at Deuteronomy 28:8 KJVR which says,

“The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

Pretty wonderful promise, huh? I love knowing that God will command his blessing upon me. I can’t get by from day to day without his blessing. And the fact that he commanded my storehouses to be full is really encouraging. It means that I’ll never lack for anything. In fact, I’ll have such an overflow that I’ll be able to bless other people with what God has given me.

And then there’s the promise that all that I do with my hands shall be blessed. This is just a further confirmation of Psalm 1:3 that whatsoever I do will prosper. To put this in perspective, every time I write something, it should prosper. Every time I cook, the meal will be delicious. Every time I study something new, I should gain an understanding. The list goes on and on because the Word says, “ALL.” Not some. Not a couple things here and there, but “all.”

So with all these magnificent promises God has made me, I have to wonder why I’m not living them. The problem isn’t with God. Numbers 23:19 clearly tells us that God is not a man which means he won’t lie to us. I got this promise directly from God’s word which means it’s the truth. If he spoke it, he’ll do it. It’s as simple as that.

So then the problem must be with me. That leads me to last part of the verse. “…and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.” Hmmm. This makes me wonder. Am I in the land he’s given me? Am I doing what he set out for me to do in his will? Am I walking in an area in which he’s anointed me to walk?

Chances are, the answer is no if I’m not seeing the manifestation of the rest of God’s promises in my life. It would behoove me to get my butt back to land he’s given me and quit trying to stray into areas I want to tippy toe around in. That means, I need to get the job he wants me to have. I need to work in the ministry he’s laid out for me. I need to pursue the dreams he’s put in my heart.

As Bishop always says, “God provides where God guides. He protects where he directs.”

The bottom line is, if I’m not finding God’s provision in my current endeavors, then it’s time to sit back and see if what I’m doing is indeed what God has for me to do. If it’s not, then it’s time to step back into the land God has for me.

No comments: